web analytics
Ordinarily I have my Indie Ink writing challenge up by Monday, but apparently the bloggy gods decided that I needed a bit of  bloggy break. On Monday I participated in Alex’s blogfest, but before I could visit everyone my internet decided to go on sabbatical and stayed there for the next 24 hrs. Then when it finally decided it was rested and ready to work, the transformer blew in our area and the entire city was without electric for the next 24 hrs. Well it would come and go but never long enough for me to get online. So to all of my new followers I apologize for being such a poor hostess and to those who commented from the blogfest I promise I will get by to visit you in the next day or so. My challenge this week came from Heather. She challenged me to write a letter to myself 10 yrs ago. (ie if I am 26 now then write to my 16 yr old self). My challenge went to Trish. You’ll be able to read her reply HERE
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dear Me,
I realize it must be a shock to read this. After all, it’s from me. I mean you. I mean well the you that you will be ten years from now. Damn, this is harder than I thought it would be. Let me start again.
So much has changed in these ten years. They haven’t yet been able to transport a human back in time but they have had success in transporting objects. I volunteered because I wanted to let you know that a lot of shit is about to happen. It’s not going to be easy on you. I don’t want to tell you what’s coming because I don’t want to alter the person you become, but I just want to let you know that you turn out pretty damn good if I do say so myself. Which I do btw. You make a lot of mistakes. You do a lot of things you will wish you could change, but you learn from those mistakes. You make your life better. You make you better, and the most remarkable thing of all is you survive. You build a life, and you become happy within yourself. You find that inner peace that you have been searching for. Things are still difficult, but yet that’s ok. You’re ok.
So I just wanted to let you know that there will come a day when things are “better”. When things don’t look so dark.So just hold on. Be patient, and most of all don’t forget to breathe. I’ll be here waiting for you. You’re not alone.
You’re not alone.
Love always,
The You that You Become

15 Responses so far.

1. Alex J. Cavanaugh says:

That's right – it will be okay!
    And sorry you had all the computer issues. The links of the blogfest partcipants go straight to their post, so no searching. Hope that helps!

2. Arlee Bird says:

I kind of was out of commission for much of May. That really got me behind.

If I were to write a letter to myself it might be better to write it to the me of 40 years ago. Ten years ago I wasn't all that much different.

Lee
    Tossing It Out

3. L.G.Smith says:

I've written my younger self a letter before to tell me it would all be okay. << had to read that sentence several times to see if it made sense. Still can't tell. :P

4. Aimee says:

Oh my. That was beautiful. Really.

5. Sunshine says:

This brought a tear to my eye. Very nice, and I hope you really do believe that :) Excellent job this week.

6. Beverly Diehl says:

Loved it! Another great post, despite all the technical challenges.

7. welcome to my world of poetry says:

I would go back 16 yrs ago to write a letter, then I had a mother I loved dearly, a devoted husband, both passed away 13 yrs ago. I also had the love of my three children, now one has decided he no longers wants himself in my life and is depriving me of seeing my grandchildren, if only I KNEW THE REASON.

Loved your post, most interesting to read.
    Yvonne.

8. Dafeenah says:

Alex, thanks. I wish I could have participated on that day though. I was so upset that I couldn't but yes that definitely helps. Thanks!

Lee, my time is scheduled pretty tightly so whenever there is a glitch it really gets me all confluxed. I am still trying to sort myself out lol

LG, yes it makes perfect sense. It's much more therapeutic than I even realized.

Aimee, mwah

Beverly, thank you it seems that is all I have been having lately. One technical challenge after the other.

Yvonne, I am so sorry. That must be so difficult to deal with. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

9. Julie says:

This is really touching, Dafeenah. Beautiful post!

10. THE SARCASM GODDESS says:

"you become happy within yourself"- I cannot think of anything greater or more satisfying.

11. Halli Gomez says:

Wouldn't it be great if we could actually write a letter to previous selves?
    I think your 16 year old self would be comforted knowing that things will work out for the best. there is definitely a light at the end of the dark tunnel.

12. Ellie Garratt says:

These things always happen at the most inconvenient time possible!

It was unusual to read a letter to our past selves – it's normally the other way around. Your letter was perfect and should your 16 year old have read it, she would have found it a great comfort!

Ellie Garratt

13. myplaidpants says:

So nice. I love this prompt and your response. The last paragraph could apply to all of us. I love that. Way to connect with your readers… :)

well done!

14. Marian says:

wouldn't it be wonderful if every now and then an uplifting missive like this arrived in our lives? yeah, that. thank you!

15. alyssa says:

gave me goosebumps. great job.